Today, taking a flight can be cheaper than an overnight bus or train. What was once a mode of transportation for the 1% has now turned into an affordable option for people from all walks of life.
Whether you are heading off for a holiday, balik kampung or a business trip, it’s great to have flying as an option. However, getting to the airport can be quite a hassle. Not only do you have to arrive early so you won’t miss your flight, you’d also have to travel over 50 kilometres to get to KL International Airport (KLIA) or klia2 from downtown.
Best way to minimise the headache of driving through over an hour of traffic is by taking public transportation. There are plenty of ways to get to the airport from all over Kuala Lumpur or Selangor. Here’s the breakdown:
How to Get to KLIA/klia2 by Ride-Sharing or Taxis
This is may be the costliest among all public transport options but it’s cheaper if you’re travelling in a group. On the bright side, this option offers the least waiting time and you won’t have to lug around luggage to any bus or train station. Always keep a lookout for promos to save more.
1. Grab: Fixed fare from the Klang Valley to KLIA/klia2 MYR65. Does not include toll charges.
2. MyCar: Fixed fare from the Klang Valley to KLIA/klia2 MYR55. Does not include toll charges.
How to Get to KLIA/klia2 by Trains
4. High-speed rail KLIA Ekspres
Non-stop ride from KL Sentral to KLIA/klia2 MYR55 (adult), MYR25 (child aged two to 12, infants travel for free). Journey time: 28 minutes (KLIA – KL Sentral), 33 minutes (klia2 – KL Sentral). For KLIA Ekspres train schedule, click here
5. High-speed rail KLIA Transit
Same line as KLIA Express but makes several stops between KLIA/klia2 and KL Sentral including Bandar Tasik Selatan, Putrajaya/Cyberjaya and Salak Tinggi. For KLIA Transit train schedule, click here
Save 10% on tickets when you buy online, via the mobile app or at the Self-Service Kiosk
How to Get to KLIA/klia2 by Bus From Kuala Lumpur
6. KL Sentral – Aerobus, Bas Malaysia & Star Shuttle Express. Journey time: One hour. Tickets priced between MYR11 and MYR12.
7. Terminal Bersepadu Selatan – Bas Malaysia, Eltabina, Aerobus, Star Shuttle Express, Jetbus. Journey time: One hour. Tickets priced at MYR11.
8. Pudu Sentral – Star Shuttle Express. Journey time: One hour. Tickets priced at MYR12.
9. Batu 3 (Jalan Ipoh) – Star Shuttle Express. Journey time: One hour. Tickets priced at MYR12.
How to Get to KLIA/klia2 by Bus From From Selangor
10. Putra Heights LRT station – Combo rail (LRT/MRT/Monorail/BRT) to Putra Heights station and bus ticket for MYR10. Each bus departs every 30 minutes. Journey time: 40 minutes. For details, see the FAQs here
First bus from Putra Heights Bus Hub at 6.30am
Last bus from Putra Heights Bus Hub at 10.30pm
First bus from KLIA & klia2 at 6am
Last bus from KLIA & klia2 at 10pm
11. 1Utama Bus Terminal – Skybus. Journey time: 75 minutes. Tickets priced at MYR15.
12. Paradigm Mall – Aerobus. Journey time: One hour. Tickets priced at MYR12.
13. Bukit Tinggi, Klang – Aerobus. Journey time: One hour. Tickets priced at MYR13.
How to Get to KLIA/klia2 by Bus From Negeri Sembilan
14. KTM Commuter Nilai Station – Train fare from Kuala Lumpur station (RM4.50), bus fare from KTM Nilai station to KLIA/klia2 (MYR2.50)